Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day Two: Barnstorming Across Ohio

I’ll be honest, I wrote my thoughts on Day Two’s blog under the soft and flickering light of the Harley’s flashers as we stood under a bridge waiting for the rain to pass. It was symbolic, I guess, as we were in Indiana, the boyhood home of Abraham Lincoln, who learned to read and right by candlelight.  

But let me start at the beginning.

Saturday morning was bright and beautiful, but a bit chilly. We were going to be barnstorming across Ohio on our way to Indiana. Now, I know barnstorming is not the proper use of the word in this context, however, it seems most suitable for a trek through Ohio’s farmland, but it does aptly describe the scenery, and subsequently, the weather.

We had a long day ahead of us, and were gunning for bear as we started out, but I didn’t know the phrase would be a bit of a prediction. Not long after we started, I saw my first ever Bear Crossing sign. Luckily, we didn’t see the bear.

Allegany National Forest is beautiful and green, and one of the other reasons that I love these trips. You see so much of the country that you wouldn’t normally see, with an unobstructed view that is second to none.

To me, the most iconic symbol of Americana is the big red barn. It reminds us of our agricultural past, and the foundations on which our country was built. Barns come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and colors, and stand, sometimes alone, sometimes with a cropping of other outbuildings, but no matter their condition, brand spanking new or barley standing, I can’t help but find myself drawn to them.  And there were a lot of them between western Pennsylvania and Indiana, and I’m sure more to come.

Another thing that awed me about Saturday’s ride, and Friday’s for that matter, was the number of American flags we saw. The Stars and Stripes, again in all sizes and mediums, were proudly displayed from flagpoles, porches, on barns and more. Nothing is more inspiring or swells my hearty with patriotism than to ride through town after town seeing our country’s colors proudly wave.

And for those of you who were concerned, there was a stop at a Harley dealer, Adventure Harley in Dover, Ohio. Not on the plan, but spied along the way, which of course, warrants a quick detour and tee shirt purchase. There were two other sightings, but no stops, as we were winging our way towards Indiana.

And so, here I am, back where I started, under the bridge, troll-like, waiting for the rain to stop.  At least as far as the story is concerned.

It took a good half hour for the rain, thunder and lightning (yes, it was quite the show) to subside enough for us don our rain gear and continue on to Anderson. We got in at 11:30, cold wet and tired, but safe.

On to Missouri.


BTW…Happy Birthday Kaila and Becky!

0 comments:

Post a Comment