Friday, June 7, 2013

Rain, Rain Go Away

When you travel by motorcycle, you roll the weather dice and sometimes, like today, you lose. There’s nothing worse than waking up to a weather forecast predicting an 80 percent change of rain, and peeking through the curtains to see that it’s 100 percent happening. We muttered and mumbled and waited, which we knew would only serve to delay the inevitable, so we donned the rain gear for the third time in as many days and headed out to the Harley. There was no doubt about it. We were going to get wet. Riding in the rain is never fun, and only serves to minimize my trip objectives – there is no opportunity to take pictures and my purview is limited, primarily, to the DOT sticker on the back of Jason’s helmet. Since we had the option, we deviated from our planned route and headed straight up Route 77 from Wytheville, VA to Beckley, WV. With my hands shoved firmly into my pockets, I hunkered down as best I could and used Jason’s body to shield me from the pelleting water. The ride took a little more than an hour, and surprisingly, as we pulled into Courtney and Joey’s driveway, we weren’t as wet as I had expected. And there’s nothing better to warm you – heart and body- than the chorus of three little voices calling out “Gigi and Pop-Pop are here!”.

0 comments:

Post a Comment