Wednesday, June 6, 2012

And So It Begins

The third annual Civil War Harley Tour gets rolling on Friday. Unlike years past, I am totally unprepared to spend two weeks on a bike. It's not that I'm unprepared to soar down open roads, sample local cuisine and see more of this beautiful county, it's that I'm completely disorganized. And Jason, the World's Last Boy Scout, is worse off than I am.

This time last year, we had the route mapped, down to the time we would leave our first destination and arrive at the next. We've got our route, but the time details are missing. Last year, I had a site seeing itinerary, where we'd go and what we'd do at each stop, including the website for the location, hours of operation and prices. This year, I've got a few thoughts and ideas. We were packed a good five days before we left last year - clothes, toiletries, electronics and associated power cords, camera, rain gear, on and on. This year,  I think I know where the rain gear is, and I hope I'm right.

Somehow, The Ride snuck up on us this year. Not in a stealth, Spider Man kind of way, but more like a blissful ignorance that June was far enough away to still plan, and silly us, here it is.  We knew where we were heading in January, but I guess when you juggle a new job, a new boss, a new house, the sale of not one, but two houses, a kitchen demolition and redesign, and which John Deere tractor you need to purchase to mow the two acres you now live on, a vacation is a dream.  But now the alarm clock is ringing wildly.

We're heading to West Virginia first, to see Courtney, Joey and the kids. The it's off to Virginia to see Bryan and his new fiance, and meet her parents. Ajax the Wonder dog and Getty Getty Thundercat will make the trip too, but they'll be staying in Virginia with my niece, Kaila. The bike gets revved up on Tuesday morning and we head to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, then Charleston, Savannah, and back to Virginia via the Smokey Mountains. Honestly, I'm really looking forward to this trip and can't wait until Friday.

I think I'll stop writing and start packing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment